Date:      Tue, 6 May 2003 22:00:34 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardcoded -C argument to ${INSTALL}

--vEao7xgI/oilGqZ+

On Tue May 06, 2003 at 09:26:45PM -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Tue, 6 May 2003 20:09:49 -0400, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> s=
aid:
>=20
> > I think this "remove stale pieces" issue is one that we have
> > to find a decent solution to, because it keeps popping up
> > every few months (in slightly different contexts), and it's
> > going to drive us all nuts.
>=20
> ...which is odd because releases have come with mtree files for quite
> a few years now, and they contain all the information necessary to
> compute the set difference between two arbitrary releases.=20

Not quite. If you're talking about the /etc/mtree files, they only
deal with directories.

> It wouldn't take too much programming to add a flag to mtree(8)
> which implements the `read the spec file and output a list of files
> which ought to be present' function, and then all you need is
> sort(1) and comm(1) to determine which files went away for any pair
> of releases since the mtree files started being distributed (which
> includes all the ones that matter).  Of course, you could just use
> `mtree' to delete the old files for you, but you have to be very
> careful when doing that not to delete the user's files, too.

Well, I think mtree already does that:

DESCRIPTION
     The mtree utility compares the file hierarchy rooted in the current
     directory against a specification read from the standard input.  Messa=
ges
     are written to the standard output for any files whose characteristics=
 do
     not match the specifications, or which are missing from either the file
     hierarchy or the specification.

--=20
Advertisers, not governments, are the primary censors of media content=20
in the United States today.
                        - C. Edwin Baker
                        http://www.ad-mad.co.uk/quotes/freespeech.htm

--vEao7xgI/oilGqZ+