Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 08:38:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!zeta.org.au!bde, ponds!time.cdrom.com!jkh, ponds!barcode.co.il!nadav, ponds!lakes.water.net!rivers
Cc:        ponds!freebsd.org!hackers
Subject:   Re: /usr/include/ftpio.h is not C++ safe

> >> They all already support K&R except <dialog.h>, <ftpio.h>, <libdisk.h>,
> >> <md2.h>, <md4.h>, <md5.h>, <ncurses.h>, <pcap.h>, <pcap-namedb.h>,
> >> <strhash.h>, <unctrl.h>.  I.e., all except 0 CSRG-derived headers, 2
> >> LBL-derived ones (pcap*), 3 Linux-derived ones (dialog, ncurses, unctrl)
> >> and 6 jkh/phk headers (the rest) support K&R.
> >
> > Oops - what about netdb.h and uses of 'const', etc...  (which should
> >work, but apparently don't.)
>
> Compile them with a K&R compiler (not gcc -traditional) or use `-Dconst='.
> Both of these work bogusly by defining const away.
>
> Bruce

 Ok - just how K&R do we want to get?  Do we say "late" K&R or early
K&R?

	o) no Structure returns?
	o) no "void" type?
	o) no "enums"?
	o) slightly different expression promotion rules?
	o) no "const"?
	o) no "volatile"?

 There's a good bit to consider here.  I'd be happy with just handling
"const" in the system headers, since that's what GCC complains about.
[along with __P() for compilers that don't support prototypes.]

	- Dave Rivers -