Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:14:32 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>
Cc:        Alex Kolobutin <fbsd@home.com>, "Raymundo M. Vega" <RaymundoVega@home.com>, carl <statik@cris.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: console reso.

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 06:15:12PM +1000, Danny wrote:
> You should be able to use 800 by 600 with your 15inch monitor
> Have you tried running XF86Setup as root. Then Believe is the 3rd last option
> which allows you to specify the resolution and colour depth.

Someone is getting confused here. You *can* get high resolutions/colour
depths in X OK. The original poster wanted to use the VESA modes for
the *console* (vidcontrol(1)).

I've just been looking through the CD that came with my ATI Xpert@Work
and although all the READMEs refer to README.VBE that file is nowhere
to be found on the CD.

I do remember that with my previous ATI card (Graphic Xpression IIRC)
the DOS TSR was called M64_VBE.{EXE,COM}. Still, it's no good under
FreeBSD.

Someone else mentioned in this thread that they had a ATI chip in
their laptop that supported the VESA modes (on-chip) and pointed to
the place in the source code where it tests for VESA support. If I get
time I'll check it out.

> Looking forard to your your feedback.
>
> dannyh
> dannyh@idx.com.au
>
> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Alex Kolobutin wrote:
> > I for one would like an 800x600 xwindow system setup, however, like whoever
> > the originator of this post is..I am unable to do so.  I have a 15" monitor,
> > 640x480 is too large, 1024x768 is too large.  800x600 is optimal for me, if
> > I could switch I would but hardware prevents me from it.  Perhaps I missed
> > something but the lack of X support for this resolution seems odd to me.

        Want a lean, mean, computing machine?
	Get rid of that FAT - install FreeBSD