Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:15:43 +0200 (EET)
From:      Mantzios Achilleus <mantzios@softlab.ece.ntua.gr>
To:        Jens Reiche <jr@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems with the Java-Performance

>Since we have installed freeBSD on our server, my numerical programs are
>running more than five times slower with the native freeBSD-Java (v.
>1.3.1)
>compared to the former IBM-Java 1.3.1 on Suse-Linux 8.0.
>Using the Linux-Version of Sun's JDK 1.4.1 over the binary compability
>the
>difference is even worse (a factor about 10!).
>Does somebody know why and how I can solve this problem?

I have tried native jdk1.3.1p7_2 (with hotspot build),
with jboss.

My app has a lot of numerical processing,server-side graphics,
some EJBs, jsps,servlets and the like.

After spending hours of benchmarking,
i concluded that native jdk1.3.1p7_2 with GREEN threads
and OpenJIT 1.1.16 is the best bet.

OpenJIT really rocks!
(I can beat an identical linux box running blackdown
in run times).

Also shujit 0.7.13 works ok too.

But the native hotspot hasnt proven that usable untill now.

> Jens

P.S.

Anybody knows what happened with the development of OpenJIT??
shujit seems quite active, whereas OpenJIT seems a little bit
dead.

Sure there is no massive need of JITs today with hotspot
on most systems, but a good JIT engine like OpenJIT
seems a must have for* BSDs (at least to me).