Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 2009 07:20:36 -0800
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.ports@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Virtualization software that can use existing vista installation

Hi,

is there any good working virtualization software on FreeBSD that can work
with an existing Vista installation? I have a slice on my disk with ~20G of
vista, for taxes and some games. As far as skimming through virtualbox user
manual told me, it will need to install vista itself on the FreeBSD box.

The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 7 (0x07),(NTFS, OS/2 HPFS, QNX-2 (16 bit) or Advanced UNIX)
    start 63, size 50473061 (24645 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 1023/ head 8/ sector 44

Also, it would probably take me a few days to locate the original vista DVD
that came with the laptop, so I'd really like to avoid that. ;)
Of course, I'm also open to tricks that allow me to use that installation even
if it means going through the normal motions.
--
Mel