Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:16:47 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Reinier Bezuidenhout <rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za>
To:        vince@venus.GAIANET.NET (Vincent Poy)
Cc:        jmb@hub.FreeBSD.ORG, sthaug@nethelp.no, tim@storm.digital-rain.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

Hi ...

We have previously done many network performance tests for our
products running on FreeBSD ...

We have found that when ever there is disk accessing involved, it
is not a good idea to look at the transfer figures.  We did tests
with ftp and is was slow (compared to only memory generated data
e.g. ttcp)

1. If you want to test the network speed ... use ttcp or something
   that generates the data and doesn't read it from disk.

2. When doing full-duplex and using fxp cards, stay away from X-over
   cables ... use a full-duplex switch etc. ... the fxp cards are not
   made to work with X-over cables (as far as I know - ala Intel spec)
   note ... only for full-duplex tests.

We have done tests in full-duplex with non Intel cards (because we did
not have a switch at that time :)) and with max size packets we got around
188.00 Mbps using the de0 driver.

Cheers
Reinier