Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 19:16:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), gallatin@cs.duke.edu (Andrew Gallatin), alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nullfs broken on alpha?

> So, err, uh, there's a lot in this mail, but the obvious questions are:
>
> 1. Why haven't you put the changes into FreeBSD?

As I said: to make the changes small enough to be palletable, they
have to be broken into smaller parts.  The smaller parts have no
obvious utility, and often appear to be gratuitous changes which
can not be justified by themselves.

> 2. Why don't we also have a working devfs checked in?

Some people claimed they needed persistance other than rc.local,
and the SLICE code is pretty much required for it to work.

Be aware that my devfs is based on Julian's, but not identical;
I don't have persistance, and I mount it as / with one subdirectory
/dev, and then union mount the real root over top of it.  This lets
me use device arrival events as a result of device probes and the
"last mounted on" field to pick my mount points.  I have an fstab,
but it's mostly for NFS and administrative override to force an
arriving device to _not_ be mounted (e.g. "/mnt" was the last mount
point, or the device would be mounted on a device-named mount point
like "/cdrom", and I don't want that or there is more than one CDROM
device in the box).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---