Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 14:55:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        John Dyson <dyson@freefall.freebsd.org>, lm@slovax.engr.sgi.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, waa@aurora.cis.upenn.edu, deraadt@theos.com, chuck@maria.wustl.edu
Subject:   Re: larry: you might want to add this to lmbench (but i'm not sure)

Ok, i'll try to explain it once again for some folks who don't seem to
read either the complete message or the code attached.
1) this is measuring something i need to measure for work i'm doing
2) the numbers surprise me
3) i thought it might or might not make a performance measure, but
   was not sure. I pointed out it was not a "pure" measurement
   of lookup time, but was correlated with it. I didn't realize how
   pathological BSD behavior was in this one case, and yes I agree
   this is NOT A COMMON CASE, OK?

I can see why so many people get sick of the bsd discussion lists:
grown-ups seem to be in short supply.

For the record, solaris is 4x the bsd performance in this case. What's
interesting is
1) solaris has a far better vm archictecture than *bsd or linux (i've
   been able to accomplish things via sunos 4/solaris kernel that bsd can not
   even approach doing)
2) solaris does indeed run on smp's, and *bsd does not

I don't know how that squares with some of the earlier comments. I'm sure
that the god-like beings on this list won't hesitate to tell me :-)

ron

Ron Minnich                |Like a knife through Daddy's heart:
rminnich@sarnoff.com       |"Don't make fun of Windows, daddy! It takes care
(609)-734-3120             | of all my files and it's reliable and I like it".