Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:30:49 -0400
From:      Alan Clegg <abc@bsdi.com>
To:        Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Space

Unless the network is lying to me again, Michel Talon said:

>                                                   This points once more that
> partionning / is a bad decision for a lot of people. I have never encountered
> any problem with a big flat /. On the machine with its own /tmp /var etc.
> i am continuously bothered with file system fulls.

Sorry, but no.  This points to a system administrator that does not
understand what type of disk space is going to be required by the system
that he is running.

Creating a monolithic slash filesystem is insane for any number of reasons,
none of which I'll go into at this point.

AlanC {been at this *WAY* too long to even consider a "big flat /"}