Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 1997 17:24:41 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: partition size limit in 2.2-stable?

On Wed, Dec 24, 1997 at 01:01:17AM -0500, Gary Schrock wrote:
> I realize this question is probably something that's asked a lot, but
> searching through the mailing list archives and the other stuff on the web
> pages I couldn't find a definitive answer on this.  Is there still a 2 gig
> limit on partition sizes in 2.2-stable?  I've seen references to the stuff
> in -current not having that, but those notes were kinda old, so I don't
> know what the status is.

I don't know how long it's been since BSD had a 2 GB partition size
(if ever), but I've been running a 4 GB partition for several years
now.  The original document ``A Fast File System for UNIX'', in 1984,
mentions that it could support individual files of up to 4 GB, but
it's possible that there were other restrictions.

For a long time, System V had a 2 GB limit on s5fs (the old System V
file system derived from the Seventh Edition), but I don't think
anybody uses that file system any more.  Some System 5 implementations
of ufs are also limited to 2 GB, for no good reason.

Greg