Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:26:39 -0500
From:      "dave" <dmehler26@woh.rr.com>
To:        <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   cvsd on FreeBSD 5.1 error

Hello,
    I'm hoping this is not an error, but a misconfiguration on my part,
where i do not know. I posted this to the FreeBSD-questions mailing list,
about a day + ago and thus far have not heard anything, repeated google
searches have not revealed anything either.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.

Hello,
    I'm trying to use the cvsd port to to get a chrooted cvs server running
under 5.1. I've installed the port and created the cvsd user and group, with
the home directory of /home/cvsd. The command i used was:
pw useradd cvsd -c "Cvs Server Daemon" -u 1015 -s /sbin/nologin -m -h -
I then manually removed the dot files from that directory as this user won't
be logging in. I then copied cvsd.conf.sample to cvsd.conf and edited it. I
changed RootJail to /home/cvsd the Uid and Gid fields to cvsd, and
uncommented the listen line. When i went to run cvsd-buildroot /home/cvsd I
got errors about not being able to find libraries, below is the output from
the command. It says that the build was successful, but i'm a little worried
about it not being able to make the /dev devices and the fact that it
couldn't find libraries, and manually atempting to run the binary placed in
the location yielded no output.

creating directory structure under /home/cvsd... done.
installing binaries... cvs.
locating libnsl.so... not found (probably not fatal)
locating libnss_compat.so... not found (probably not fatal)
locating ld-elf.so... /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1
locating libnss_compat.so.2... not found (probably not fatal)
locating libnss_files.so.2... not found (probably not fatal)
locating /usr/libexec/ld.so... not found (probably not fatal)
locating /usr/lib/ld.so.1... not found (probably not fatal)
locating nss_files.so.1... not found (probably not fatal)
installing libraries...ldd: /home/cvsd/bin/cvs: Permission denied
/home/cvsd/bin/cvs: exit status 1
 ld-elf.so.1.
creating /home/cvsd/dev devices... FAILED (unable to use devices)
adding users to /home/cvsd/etc/passwd... root nobody cvsd.
making /home/cvsd/etc/pwd.db...done.
fixing ownership... done.
chrooted system created in /home/cvsd
if your cvs binary changes (new version) you should rerun cvsd-buildroot

Advice appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.