Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:15:53 +0700
From:      Eugene Panchenko <replicator@ngs.ru>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   device name vs. device name + number

hello, ppl!

I have a small question to all you: i want to be able to use at most 8 instances of the following pseudo-devices at the same time:

pseudo-device   bpf     8
pseudo-device   gif     8
pseudo-device   vn      8
pseudo-device   snp     8

after which ones of them do I need to put "8"?
I assume that i might omit it after "gif" since it's an interface, and i can ifconfig it up any number of times i want, right? but what about the others?

also, how aften might I get gziped a.outs to run? do I *really* need 'pseudo-device gzip' nowadays?

of course, i am speaking about my custom kernel configuration file.

thanks you all very much!

-- eugene