Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 1995 02:55:50 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Memory usage (Was Re: Memory init pattern)

>As Frank Durda IV wrote:
>>
>> By the way, I have seen no description of how FreeBSD uses PC memory, ie
>> what 0-640K gets used for, does the kernel load there or higher,
>> is the kernel relocated, etc.  Is there a paper on this?
>The later memory usage (once paging is enabled) could better be
>explained by the VM folks.

   The physical pages immediately following the kernel BSS contain proc0's page
directory, page tables, and upages. Some time later when the VM system is
initialized, the physical memory between 0x1000-0x9ffff and the physical memory
after the kernel (text+data+bss+proc0 stuff+other misc) is made available in
the form of general VM pages and added to the global free page list.
   Does this answer the question?

-DG