Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 08:48:14 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        "Eloy A. Paris" <Eloy.Paris@ven.ra.rockwell.com>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD works with Cy486DLC processors?

>Well, I do not have an external cache. I was talking about the internal
>cache. That one is disabled. But anyway, what does the internal cache have
>to do with the mother board design? That is internal to the processor... The
>external cache is also disabled because I don't have one.

The CPU's internal cache requires the motherboard to help it with bus
snooping and invalidating addresses that another bus-master on the bus
writes.

I. e. without help, if a bus-master writes something to memory that is
also in the cache, the CPU has no idea that data has just become stale
without help from the motherboard.  So now there is data in the cache
that is different from that same address' data in RAM.  (Yes, I know
there are smarter processors, but AFAIK this is how the 486DLC does
it.)

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.