Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 12:45:27 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Tape Drives...

> As Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > Exabytes (primarily the earlier ones) are consumer-electronics based
> > cr*
>
> Sounds like our drives are from those series.
>
> > Hmmm. You better do a couple of retension wind/rewinds every now and
> > then. Really helps to keep QIC cartridges happy.
>
> In the end, they're retensioning regularly, i guess.  I do a full
> backup of three partitions each weekend, starting at BOT, rewind it,
> append daily increments throughout the week, rewind again, etc.  The
> full backups itself should suffice to wind the tape several times from
> end to end.

Note that I've seen QIC tapes fail fairly rapidly if not stored fully
rewound; the tension pulls the tape over the index holes and causes the
layer or two immediately above the holes to deform, making several sets
of tracks unreadable at that point.

Aside from that, I tend to concur; if you want the data to last any
length of time, 9-track or QIC is about the best you'll manage.