Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2013 14:01:27 +0200
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        David Boyd <David.Boyd49@twc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AAC regression in 9.2-BETA

On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 10:05:43PM +0200, Marius Strobl wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 02, 2013 at 02:44:04PM -0400, David Boyd wrote:
> > I have an Adaptec 2820SA (SATA) controller that hangs the system during
> > booting on 9.2-BETA[12].
> > The only message I see on the console refers to controller aac0 and
> > indicates "TIMEOUT 138 SECONDS".
> > This same controller/motherboard works flawlessly with 9.1-RELEASE-p5.
> > I have moved this hardware to "testing" mode and can rebuild often.
> > I am asking for direction and suggestions as to which commits might be at
> > fault.
> > I am sorry that I didn't detect this problem earlier in the release cycle.
> > Hope we can resolve this before 9.2-RELEASE.
>
> That could be due to MSIs being broken with your particular controller
> or mainboard. Please try whether setting the tunable hw.aac.enable_msi
> to 0 on the loader prompt before booting makes things work. If it does,
> please provide a verbose dmesg and the output of `pciconf -lcv`.

For the records, between 9.1 and 9.2, aac(4) has been taught to take
advantage of MSIs when available. However, 2820SA turned out to have
broken MSI support. Thus, in r254004 a quirk blacklisting MSI usage
for that model has been introduced. There was also a similar report
for 2230S, in which case it was unclear whether that type of controller
or the motherboard is the culprit. To be on the safe side, MSIs also
have been blacklisted for 2230S in said revision. This change has been
MFCed down to releng/9.2, so it will be part of the final 9.2-RELEASE.
However, it doesn't seem warranted to generally disable the use of MSIs
in aac(4) again.

Marius