Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2010 15:41:52 +0200
From:      Anton <anton@sng.by>
To:        John <john@starfire.mn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Programmer In Training <pit@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us>
Subject:   Re[2]: Thousands of ssh probes

   Hello John,

   I would suggest you just block ssh acces for everyone.

   But, to allow acces for yourself - you could install wonderfull
   utility = 'knock-knock'.

   It listen on specified ports (they could be closed), and, on receiving
   p= redefined knock-knock (for example - 2 knocks in 9000 tcp port, one
   knock t= o 8000 port, one at 27145 tcp port and final at 29000 udp
   port) it dynamica= lly inserts rule in =E7=E0 (=F8=F2 my case, ipfw)
   ruleset, which allows acc= ess for host which knocks

   http://www.marksanborn.net/linux/add-port-knocking-=
   to-ssh-for-extra-security/

   wrote:

   >> On 03/05/10 06:54, John wrote:

   >> > My nightly security logs have thousand= s upon thousands of ssh
   probes

   >> > in them.  One day, over 6500. &nb= sp;This is enough that I can
   actually

   >> > "feel" it in my network performance. &= nbsp;Other than changing
   ssh to

   >> > a non-standard port - is there a way t= o deal with these?  Every

   >> > day, they originate from several diffe= rent IP addresses, so I
   can't

   >> > just put in a static firewall rule. &n= bsp;Is there a way to get
   ssh

   >> > to quit responding to a port or a way = to generate a dynamic pf

   >> > rule in cases like this?

   >> Can you not deny all ssh attempts and then = allow only from
   certain,

   >> trusted IPs?

   > Ah, I should have added that I travel a fair am= ount, and often

   > have to get to my systems via hotel WiFi or Air= card, so it's

   > impossible to predict my originating IP address= in advance.  If

   > that were not the case, this would be an excell= ent suggestion.

   >> --

   >> Yours In Christ,

   >> PIT

   >> Emails are not formal business letters, wha= tever businesses may
   want.

   >> Original content copyright under the OWL&nb= sp;[1]http://owl.apot=
   heon.org

   >> Please do not CC me. If I'm posting to a li= st it is because I am
   subscribed.

   --

   Best regards,

    Anton            = ;                [2]mailto:anton@sng.by