Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 18:29:33 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <jeremyp@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clipboard Daemon - thinking of writing one :)

Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org> wrote:
>> - How can I choose a guaranteed free TCP port?
>
>www.iana.org
>IANA -- Internat Assigned Numbers Authority

This is fine in theory, but doesn't work quite as well in practice.
I spent several years (unsuccessfully) trying to convince a sister
company that allocating TCP ports starting at 6001 for an application
was not a good idea (the system _did_ include an X-server, but not
multi-headed, luckily).  It made using ssh quite a pain at times.

Orbix (IONA's CORBA implementation) uses a number of TCP ports - none
of which seem to be registered.

Closer to home, there's the recent problems with the RADIUS ports.

Peter