Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:54:36 +0000
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        NGH <bsd_appliance@yahoo.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware random number generator?

> --- Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za> wrote:
> > If I was to make a hardware random number generator as a PCI card,
> > who would be interested? How many would you be interested in?
> > What price would you pay? (I'm thinking +- US$100 or less).
>
> A hardware random number generator would be cool, but how do you think
> of implementing one? Picking up noise, or radio broadcasts, perhaps?

Multiple methods. A zener diode can be made very noisy, a pair of
transitors can be made to oscillate wierdly etc. Then the entropy
needs to be processed in hardware to distill out random bits. That
is also done in multiple ways, with different parts of the circuit
independantly supplying parts of the 32-bit result.

Provision for external noise (so the user can connect his own noise
source) would also be there.

o       Mark Murray
\_      FreeBSD Services Limited
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn