Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 21:20:59 -0800
From:      Stephen Wynne <stevemw@northwest.com>
To:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crashes with Swing 1.0.1 and Lesstif 0.82/port

In message <199803040326.VAA02968@damon.com>, Damon Permezel writes:

    Perhaps you understand why I eventually decided that the $$
    invested in a copy of Motif would be well spent.

Damon,

Indeed. I want to focus on Java, not Motif.

Damon then continued:

    ...and either they'll cut folks a deal, or funnel a bit back into
    the SMP/native-threads/multiple-threads-from-one-process-schedulable-
    -at-the-same-time effort so we can really get some perf?

I don't understand what you're suggesting here; perhaps money spent on
Motif for the Java effort at XiG can help the FreeBSD SMP effort? Good
idea in practice, but I just want a UNIX-derived OS on which to build
a reliable Java from source with debugging symbols. And maybe contribute
a few bits and pieces while learning about the VM.

o What is the Motif licensing arrangement? It's too bad we can't
  create a "libawtmotif.so" from source, link to, and then
  begin distributing that. Any creative but legally acceptable
  suggestions would be appreciated. But I'm not holding my breath!
o Which Motif libraries should I buy? Do I have a choice? From
  http://www.xig.com/products/pricelst.html I can see that in the USA,
  I'd be paying $150.

In later mail <199803040411.VAA06309@mt.sri.com>, Nate Williams writes:

    FWIW, as long as I'm building public releases, I will be using
    Motif, and will be building releases that don't require you to
    have Motif.  If you want Motif for your own work, feel free to buy
    it.

I *really* appreciate that, and I think a lot of other people will,
too. But it doesn't help me to make tweaks to the sources and then
use a source-level debugger, even if Nate compiles with debugging
symbols.  I think it's time for me to buy Motif for $149, go back
to NT where the MKS toolkit is $395, or buy Solaris 2.5.1 x86 for
around $500 :-) (Not that it would be impossible to build the JDK
with the Cygnus tools on NT.)

Once again, the work you all have done to get FreeBSD up and running
with the latest Java is great. Thank you!

Steve

P.S. We might want to let the Lesstif people know about these problems
in detail. This could be a real boost to them if they could fix the
problems, and one of them might be willing to apply for the JDK source
license and do it. Even if I give up on Lesstif for now, I admire the
project and hope it goes well in the future!