Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 2010 18:08:49 +0300
From:      Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   version/revision control software for things mostly not source

I think I am reaching the point where I want to have some kind of sane
and easy to use version/revision control software for my various
personal files and small projects. We are talking about varied kind of
data, ranging from binary format game data (I have been doing FPS
level design as a hobby for over a decade) to .doc office documents to
ASCI text formatted game data. Most of the data is not plaintext. So
far I have been using a hacked together mix of things, mostly a
combination of essentially storing each revision of any given file a
separate file001, file002, file003, etc which while easy to use and
understand, seems rather space-inefficient and a little bit of ZFS
snapshotting, however I want something better.

What would be examples of good version control software for me? The
major things I want are: a simple and easy to use Windows GUI client
for my workstation, so I can quickly browse through different
projects, go back to any given point in time and view/checkout the
data of that point to a Windows machine. Space efficiency, while not
critical (the server has 2 x 2TB drives in RAID1 and can easily be
expanded down the line should the need eventually arise) is obviously
an important thing to have, surely even with binary data some space
can be saved if you have 20 versions of the same file with minor
changes.

Sadly, FreeBSD's ZFS doesn't have dedup or this functionality would've
been easy to implement with my current hacked together methods.
Performance does't matter all that much (unless we are talking
something silly like a really crazy IO bottleneck), since the only
expected user is just me and perhaps a few friends.

Thanks!

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov