Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:59:06 -0700
From:      4Front Technologies <dev@opensound.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   KLD support in FreeBSD/AMD64

Hi,

We are trying to get Open Sound System modules compiled under FreeBSD/AMD64.
I looked at the /usr/share/examples/kld/cdev example and it fails to link:

ld: cdev.kld: relocation R_X86_64_32S can not be used when making a shared
object; recompile with -fPIC
cdev.kld: could not read symbols: Bad value

If I add -fPIC to the compile files (I have to remove -mcmodel=kernel and
-no-redzone) then the module links but running kldload cdev.ko causes:

kldload: unexpected relocation type 7
link_elf: symbol copyinstr undefined

We are seeing the same problems in our OSS modules. So is there any work going
on to add KLD support for FreeBSD/AMD64?

Best regards
Dev Mazumdar
4Front Technologies
4035 Lafayette Place, Unit F, Culver City, CA 90232, USA.
Tel: (310) 202 8530		URL: www.opensound.com
Fax: (310) 202 0496 		Email: info@opensound.com