Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:00:11 GMT
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sparc64/142102: FreeBSD 8.0 kernel panics on sparc64 when accessing NFS

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/142102; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To: Manuel Tobias Schiller <mala@hinterbergen.de>
Cc: Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:58:29 +0100

 On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 10:06:02PM +0100, Manuel Tobias Schiller wrote:
 > On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 14:26:50 -0600
 > Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com> wrote:
 >
 > > Just to add a data point, the Netra T1s in the package build cluster do
 > > not show this problem, so I'm guessing that you are hitting an edge
 > > on large file transfers.  We run them pretty hard.

 I think you guys are talking about different things; AFAIK the
 package build cluster nodes only act as NFS clients but this
 problem is about when using machines with strict alignment
 requirements as an NFS server.

 > > mcl
 > >
 > Hi Mark, Marius,
 >
 > thanks for the data point. In the meantime, I managed to test a kernel
 > with the "official" fix from PR 140797, and I still get the crash when
 > trying to write a moderately sized file (20 Megabytes) to NFS. According
 > to the backtrace below, it crashes in line 1355 of
 > /usr/src/sys/nfsserver/nfs_srvsubs.c.
 >
 > Since I'm using the fix from the original problem report and RELENG_8_0
 > sources cvsupped on December 20, I guess that means we are either using
 > different source trees (i.e. there is something in the sources for the
 > kernels used on your machines that helps), or there is some other
 > difference which I have not been able to pinpoint yet. Maybe you could
 > clarify before I try hacking away or finding other differences...
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > Manuel

 I'm using a more or less current HEAD but the NFS code hasn't
 changed that much since 8.0, at least it doesn't contain any
 other alignment fixes I'm aware of.
 I think I got what the problem is but I still haven't managed
 to reproduce it so far. Could you please test whether the
 following patch makes a difference?
 http://people.freebsd.org/~marius/fha_extract_info_realign.diff

 Marius