Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 16:33:17 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy@casidy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Depending on a previous version of a lib

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 09:43:11PM +0200, Philippe CASIDY wrote:
> This port depend in fact on graphics/gdk-pixbuf (I did not noticed that
> when I made the port). But it depend on version 0.6.0 at most and cannot
> be built with the current version (0.9.0).

gdk-pixbuf, as with anything that comes from the "unstable" part
of the GNOME sites is very much "at-risk", ie: APIs are likely to
change considerably, breakages will happen, your truck won't start,
someone steals your last cold beer etc..

It gets worse .. even some of the "stable" stuff breaks other
bits and pieces.. I've got gnome-print 0.22 sitting here waiting
to go, but not committed since it breaks every single port that
depends on it.  Laugh?  I almost spilt my drink..

> That is why I am wondering about how to make it depend on this
> particular version not on the current one.

You can't.  Sorry.  Make it work with what's in the current
ports tree or kill it until it does.

-aDe [you are in a maze of twisty dependencies, all different]

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			ade@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve		http://www.FreeBSD.org/