Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:13:46 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        iwasaki@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, imp@village.org, Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: pccard differences between -current and -stable

Dear Iwasaki-san,

On 28-Jun-00 Duncan Barclay wrote:
> On 28-Jun-00 Mitsuru IWASAKI wrote:
>>
>> also, PAO has `cardmem' feature for this kind of purpose if I
>> understand correctly, say;
>>       cardmem memaddr cardaddr memsize [memflags]
>>               :
>>      cardio and cardmem keywords are used with cards whose resources such as
>>      I/O ports and shared memory block, are not specified in the CIS tuple.
>>      base address and size of I/O ports are specified in iobase and iosize,
>>      ones of shared memory block are specified in cardaddr, memsize and
>>      memaddr. An address of a card is cardaddr, one of host is memaddr. Op-
>>      tional flags can be specified in memflags.
>>
>> and sample configuration is like this;
>># IBM Smart Capture Card
>> card "IBM Corp\." "Video Capture"
>>         config  default "scc0" pio
>>         cardmem 0xd4000 0x0 0x8000
>>         insert  logger -s Smart Capture Card inserted
>>         remove  logger -s Smart Capture Card removed
>>
>> Do we need this feature?

Re-reading my reply I don;t think I was very clear.

> I don't think so as Warners more recent changes to pccard get all this right.
> I have no problem in setting up the raylink cards with a config entry of

The recent changes to reading CIS tuples seem to get this information
correctly for the Webgear/Raylink cards I am writing for.

I used the cardmem mechanism from PAO for the 3.x version of the driver and it
worked reasonably well. Does this exist in -current and -stable?

If cardmem is in -current I can use it as a temporary measure but I do not
really like it. I have a friend with a SCSI card that uses 0xd40000 for BIOS
and he has great difficultly in keeping track of changes to pccard.conf.
Using the cardmem feature will make changing the base address for a user
much harder (they will have more lines to edit).

Duncan

---