Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 01:46:28 -0600
From:      Joel Godwin <rentech@swbell.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Troubles.

Ok, I'm having major problems installing FreeBSD on my system.  Tried to
do it via FTP, no go...never could get through.  So, in my strong desire
to set up this system, I bought the CD.  Now, I'm running Win95 on a
Compaq Presario P90.  The CD type (as reported by Win95) is a Sony type,
and I made sure during the unix bootup that that was the one left, but
unfortunately it was unable to recognize the drive in the unix
environment.  So, the next thing I tried was loading from a DOS
Partition.  I have a 2 Gig hard drive (well, I have 2 hard drives) and
it's set up at the slave drive to the other one.  So, it's D:.  That's
also where I've set up my partition for FreeBSD.  Well, I copied the
entire CD to that drive, went into install mode, and apparently it
doesn't care to install from the same physical drive that the unix
partition is on.  So, I moved most of what I wanted over to the Master
drive, C:, and tried the install from there.  Now, this was a success,
it appeared to have installed everything I wanted....with one
exception..Bootmanager didn't work at all, I mean, I didn't even get the
little prompt that's talked about in the troubleshooting
section....nada, nunca, zip, zilch.  Now, I'm not so concerned about
being able to boot up with my hard drive and having the choice of a unix
partition or my dos one....I'd love to be able to access my unix stuff
with just booting from a floppy, and I can't even seem to set that up
(what the hell do I need and where to make that boot floppy for that,
all I seem to get on the CD is the tools to make an install boot floppy)

So, after many hours spent trying different tweaks and twiddles, I've
had it with trying it on my own and am turning to the experts.

If there is some number I can call for tech support, I'd be much
obliged, for I feel it might be resolved much quicker that way than a
series of emails playing question and answer.

Regardless, thanks for your time.

Joel Godwin