Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:23:50 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        David Anderson <DRCAnderson@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Why don't you answer my questions? (was: Open Letter to List)

On Monday, 26 April 1999 at  9:21:02 -0700, David Anderson wrote:
> Hi list
>
> Could I be so bold as to ask what criteria is used to determine
> which questions (posted to the list) are answered first (or at all)?

Sure, go ahead.  Basically, it's described in my weekly posting "How
to get best results from FreeBSD-questions":

  When submitting a question to FreeBSD-questions, consider the
  following points:

  1.  Remember that nobody gets paid for answering a FreeBSD
      question. They do it of their own free will. You can influence
      this free will positively by submitting a well-formulated
      question supplying as much relevant information as possible. You
      can influence this free will negatively by submitting an
      incomplete, illegible, or rude question. It's perfectly possible
      to send a message to FreeBSD-questions and not get an answer
      even if you follow these rules. It's much more possible to not
      get an answer if you don't. In the rest of this document, we'll
      look at how to get the most out of your question to
      FreeBSD-questions.

  2.  Not everybody who answers FreeBSD questions reads every message:
      they look at the subject line and decide whether it interests
      them. Clearly, it's in your interest to specify a
      subject. ``FreeBSD problem'' or ``Help'' aren't enough. If you
      provide no subject at all, many people won't bother reading
      it. If your subject isn't specific enough, the people who can
      answer it may not read it.

  3.  Format your message so that it is legible, and PLEASE DON'T
      SHOUT!!!!!. We appreciate that a lot of people don't speak
      English as their first language, and we try to make allowances
      for that, but it's really painful to try to read a message
      written full of typos or without any line breaks.

      Don't underestimate the effect that a poorly formatted mail
      message has, not just on the FreeBSD-questions mailing
      list. Your mail message is all people see of you, and if it's
      poorly formatted, one line per paragraph, badly spelt, or full
      of errors, it will give people a poor impression of you.

      A lot of badly formatted messages come from bad mailers or badly
      configured mailers. The following mailers are known to send out
      badly formatted messages without you finding out about them:

       cc:Mail
       Eudora
       exmh
       Microsoft Exchange
       Microsoft Internet Mail
       Microsoft Outlook
       Netscape

      As you can see, the mailers in the Microsoft world are frequent
      offenders. If at all possible, use a UNIX mailer.  If you must
      use a mailer under Microsoft environments, make sure it is set
      up correctly. Try not to use MIME: a lot of people use mailers
      which don't get on very well with MIME.

The complete text is available at http://www.lemis.com/questions.html.

> I had noticed that some folks manage to get 2 and 3 postings
> answered consequtively while my newbie posting appears to be avoided
> =)
>
> What do I draw from this? That my question is too basic and others
> are given priority because they are more interesting to the
> respondents? I'm puzzled......

Basically, your messages are unreadable.  I've gone to some trouble to
reformat this one (thus the message at the top), and I've written
numerous web pages on the subject.  Your message was written in:

This means that the complete text is sent twice, once in HTML (a
completely inappropriate format for mail messages), and once in a
mutilated text/plain (a correct format, but all your paragraphs are a
single line:

> I would appreciate any observations on this situation. I have participated in other mail lists and havent come across this situation before. I am committed to learning UNIX and plan to stick with FreeBSD - I hope I can help others in time.

Normally I just delete messages like this, since it's too much trouble
to reformat them.  Answering this message took me 10 minutes, but I'm
answering it because I just happen to have got to the end of today's
mail, and because you ask specifically.  Basically, I don't believe
that you can get good results from Microsoft Outlook: at least nobody
has ever shown me that they can do it.

I don't know if this is the only reason your messages don't get
answered: I can't recall reading any from you.  And as the web page
says, "It's perfectly possible to send a message to FreeBSD-questions
and not get an answer even if you follow these rules".

Greg