Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:03:26 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        "Jay M. Richmond" <jayrich@room101.sysc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anyone else ? atapi headaches?

> is anyone else besides those I've talked to having problems with their
> atapi cd-rom (input/output errors when mounting)...? or are there people
> with cd-rom's that are working fine out there...

Last time I checked my ATAPI CD rom worked fine (last week
sometime I think). I think you also said that you tried to
recompile mount_cd9660 and it failed. Joerg did mail to the
list recently saying that if you rebuild mount_cd9660 you
would have to rebuild the kernel. The reverse may well apply.
You may have to do enough of a buildworld to make cd9660
compile before you can get it to work.

I'm not sure if you have ever got this drive to work, you
didn't say. About the time of 2.2.2 there was a statement
(by Jordan?) that said if people had ATAPI problems they
wanted fixing they should provide a drive just like the
one they were having problems with to whoever was in
charge of the ATAPI code at the time, and then maybe they
would be able to fix it.

Mind you - if you've had the drive working, that may mean
someone has just accidently broken something - in which case
the above mightn't apply.

	David.