Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:39:08 -0300
From:      Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Peter J. Blok" <Peter.Blok@inter.NL.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.2.0 (is it coming back?)

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 11:23:29PM +0100, Peter J. Blok wrote:
> Hi,
>
> XFree86-4.2.0 was backed out because of the 4.5-RELEASE. I'd like to know
> when is it going to be added again?

	This question has been showing up in the last couple weeks. :)

	In short, there is a group working on making XFree86-4 into
a full blown meta port ala both kde and gnome. Due to this, they
have decided to hold off the update until they finish converting
to the meta port structure.
	This is somewhat controversial since many might point out
that re-committing the 4.2.0 update would not stop them to work the
conversion in private.
	However, we should give them a fair vote of confidence
that work will get done. After all, we have been wanting a meta
port for over an year so waiting a little longer is not much to
ask. Furthermore, there was word on the list that another committer
was going to merge the meta port on going work. Nonetheless, this
committer seems to be busy which is understable since we all have
lifes... :) but it would indicate that we might see something pretty
soon. 8-)
	My suggestion, for now, grab the XFree86-4 prior to the
4.2.0 back from CVS
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11/XFree86-4/)
	If you can wait (4.2.0 does not do anything better for you
than 4.1.0), the final commit must be coming soon.

	Regards,

ps: keywords (to feed search engines): why was it backed out, back out,
commit, add again, 4.2.0, 4.1.0, after, before, release

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
Computer Science Undergraduate | FreeBSD Committer | CS Developer