Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:00:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mark Hannon <mark@stockholm.mail.telia.com>
To:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dump to Floppy Tape?

In article <000301be3382$40bc4d40$010a000a@danco.home> you wrote:

> I realize that floppy tapes are not the ideal backup device, but I have an
> old Colorado Jumbo 250 tape drive that I'd like to use (instead of
> floppies!).

Hi, I have been using a Conner floppy tape for 4 years to do this...

> When I run the command 'dump -f /dev/rft0 /usr', I get the message "DUMP:
> bad sblock magic number" and dump quits.

The floppy tape support is different from standard tapes, you need to use
the program 'ft' to access the tapes.  The standard 'ft' program is pretty
limited (it only allows a single archive per tape) but some years ago an
improved ft called lft was posted to the lists (search for it on the lists
or mail me directly for a copy) that allows multiple archives on a tape.

With the lft (or ft) program you can dump like this:

	dump /usr | lft -a
OR	dump /usr | ft

> Does dump support floppy tape drives, or am I missing something?

> Also, does the 'ft' command (ala, 'tar cvzf - /usr | ft "/usr save"')
> support multiple-tape spanning?

Yes, as does lft.

> I'm a newbie looking for a quick, simple way to backup before I make world
> and build a custom kernal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simple you get, but I have never called my floppy tape quick....

Rgds/Mark