Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 13:51:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
To:        jayanth@yahoo-inc.com (Jayanth Vijayaraghavan)
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: paper on improving webserver performance

> In your paper you discuss about having an application restrict the no. of
> idle connections to 10000 for http 1.1.  I am sure there are a lot
> of servers that have much more than 10000 connections that are idle
> and have some sort of keep alive mechanism turned on (not just http 1.1),

I consider the keepalive mechanism with HTTP/1.0 and the HTTP/1.1 styled
persistent connections to be really synonymous.

> even if the time for which the connections are idle be of the order of minutes.
> Scanning the list now could be time consuming .  Wouldnt a timewheel be more
> generic as it handles all the timers ?

Absolutely - a timing wheel's performance degrades very little with idle
connections. However, I was under the impression that most servers only allow
idle connections upto a max of 15 secs. Second, I would've thought that servers
would run into other problems with such a huge number of idle connections -
e.g.  running out of file descriptors. Though I don't know how real servers
plan to control the idle connections, but I think they're probably going to
impose some restriction on the maximum number of such connections and close
them prematurely (which HTTP allows) after a timeout or after a max is reached.

My results indicate that for 10000 idle connections (which seems rather large)
the list implementation only has a degradation of 5%. The list implementation
seemed both simple and scalable and that's the reason why I proposed
it. However, the timing wheel performs within 5% and as far as performace goes,
I don't really see compelling reasons for choosing one over the other. I've
remarked this earlier on this list too.

- Mohit