Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 1996 14:40:13 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup doesn't remove old patches, doesn't put things in the Attic

> > In that case, CVSup would consider "patch-a[b-e],v" to be extra,
> > unknown files in your local repository.  It didn't create them,
> > and there's no trace of them in the master repository.  It doesn't
> > know anything about them -- and so it won't delete them.  It will
> > never delete anything that it doesn't know about.
> >
> > That's what I think happened.
>
> Might be the case ... Now I'm resyncing everything with rsync ...
> What makes me wonder is, that a cvs update -P stopped at many many
> ports. Saying, that there are directories and files, that aren't
> anymore in the repository and it exits ... cvs update doesn't run
> through ... I had to do a
>
> cd /usr/ports; find . -type d -name patches | xargs rm -rf ...
>
> After that a cvs update -P updated the patches directories and
> everything seems to be fine ...

Hmmm, I don't know what's going on with your repository.  I haven't
seen any problems my self, or gotten any other reports of problems,
but I'll keep my ears open.

If you see this kind of thing again, please make a "ls -RAlF" listing
of your repository (or part of it that's bad), and send it to me.
Also, please send copies of the corresponding "checkouts.cvs"
file(s) from your "${base}/sup/collection" directories.  With those
two pieces of information, I should be able to determine whether
CVSup is really screwing up or not.  I should have asked you for
them in the present case, but I suppose it's too late now. :-(

> After doing a complete 'rsync' I'll again use cvsup. If then still
> something isn't ok, I'll drop you a note.

Thanks!  Reports of suspected bugs are very much appreciated.

John