Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 2010 17:38:30 -0500
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, skv@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: _PERL_REFACTORING_COMPLETE lang/perl5.12 Mk/bsd.perl.mk

The intention of bsd.perl.mk was to eventually allow a bunch of code
to be pulled out of bsd.port.mk, and to have bsd.perl.mk only included
conditionally, on the theory that it will speed up INDEX building
somewhat.  (I have not tested for speedup).

The problem is that there are N ports that assume that the logic in
bsd.perl.mk is always available.  I've tried to convince people that
these are bugs, but OTOH if you leave out one of these definitions
such as USE_PERL5 or PERL_CONFIGURE, and _PERL_REFACTORING_COMPLETE
is defined, then INDEX breaks.

Every once in a while I try to put in patches to force N to zero, but
then I get stuck on wierd edge cases.  This is why the switch has not
been thrown.

Every time I try to work on this, "something happens" and it gets
shoved on the back-burner for several months.  This has been going
on for several years now ...

At this point it may be better to just do the following:

 - unconditionally include bsd.perl.mk and get rid of the code
   duplication that is in bsd.port.mk.

This would avoid the possibility of optimizing INDEX speed, but
instead, keep things robust.

What do people think?

mcl