Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:19:22 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        bsd.luigi@alshome.be, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Superuser password lost

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 09:52:38AM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > Maybe it's a simple question but i'm a newbie lost in my new BSDworld.
> >
> > I've installed PC-BSD but when I want to install a software, It ask me a
> > superuser password.
> > I think I lost this password. How can I retrieve this superuser password ?
>
> This is a PC-BSD-specific question.  There is no such thing as "the
> superuser" ... it's a colloquialism frequently used by folks to make
> things sound cooler (or for some other reason I don't understand)

I don't understand this response.   Superuser is just another
name for the root user which is any user id with a UID of 0.

I haven't used PC-BSD flavor, but in general, with BSDs you force
them to boot - by killing power if necessary, but a clean shutdown
is better (but that usually requires root).

Then, while it is booting, make it boot to 'single user' mode.
At that point, at the console, you are root.
Clean up a little
  fsck -p
  mount -u /
  mount -a
  swapon -a

Then just set a password for root  ---  and don't forget it.

  passwd root
    follow the prompts

If PC-BSD doesn't let you boot to single user, then you will
need to use an installation CD to get to the point you can
write to the passwd and master.passwd files.

////jerry