Date:      Tue, 1 Dec 1998 16:21:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jeff Gray <jwg@netbox.com>
To:        Questions at FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /etc/passwd - how to protect from spammers

Casper,

Thanks for the lead but not quite clear enough for me, yet.

The login-class approach looks perfect but when I check
/etc/login.conf - the sample file does not include any
chroot entries.  What does ftp-chroot have to do with access to the
password files?

We are using pine 4.03.  I checked the man pages and S/Config and
could not find 'operating-dir'
 pine -operating-dir $HOME

Appreciate the lead, need to squeeze out a bit more information <g>.

Thanks.

Best Regards
jeff

>Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 02:48:53 +0400
>From: Casper <casper@acc.am>
>Subject: Re: /etc/passwd - how to protect from spammers

use
pine -operating-dir $HOME
option of the pine , and put in the user's login-class :ftp-chroot:
option ....

Jeff Gray wrote:

> We run a multiuser system and as /etc/passwd is world readable it is
easy
> for a spammer to get access to our user list.  We limit access via a
> restricted shell but do offer pine - easy to attach /etc/passwd.
> Restricting pine so as to prohibit attachments would be a severe
> restriction.
>
> A client/user mentioned that in HP Unix there is a
> chroot wrapper of some kind which can block this access.  Could not find
> anything in the FreeBSD archives.
>
> Suggestions welcomed.
>
> Thanks
> jeff

| NightMare           | System Administrator |
+- AKA ---------------+ of Armenian Computer |
| Casper - a friendly | Center               |
| one variant :)      | nightmar@acc.am      |