Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 2012 17:21:16 -0700
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@intranet.com.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: OFF Topic. FreeBSD and Android Development

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 05:46:13PM -0600, Jorge Biquez wrote:

> I am interested in learning about Android Development. I am
> searching information on the web, documentation about how to start
> learning about Android Development. Any links or tips to look at are
> more than welcomed.
>
> Talking with a friend he told me he is learning using some tools he
> found but he is running them under Ubuntu.

What tools are these?  If you provide specifics, we might be able to
provide information on whether the tools he uses work on FreeBSD as well.

> If any of you is developing for Android using Freebsd as your
> platform. Can you tell me about your experience? Tips and advice on
> what to use to start are welcome.

I am not (yet) developing for Android on FreeBSD, but I plan to give it a
try in the very near future.  My first steps in that direction will
probably involve writing code in Ruby, to be packaged and distributed to
be used with the Scripting Layer For Android.  SL4A uses JRuby, which
means that Ruby applications for Android that use SL4A should have access
to the standard Java libraries on Android as well (in theory: I have not
tested this extensively yet).

I am considering graduating to Java/Dalvik development for Android at
some point, but I am not sure whether that would be necessary (or even
advantageous) for my purposes, at this point.  I am interested in any
information your query might draw forth here, though, so I'll be watching
this thread.

> I am not sure if this kind of off topic could be of interested to
> the list so please feel free to answer me directly .

I think this is, in fact, on-topic for this list.  It is a question
particular to FreeBSD, which is the point of the freebsd-questions
mailing list, as I understand it.