Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:55:49 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trouble overriding DSDT

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 02:07:58PM -0700, Nate Lawson wrote:

> The right fix I think is to disable SSDT loading if we've overridden the
> DSDT.  Bob, what do you think?  Marcel, we should fix this for 5.3R
> because it will prevent people from using custom ASL easily.  Another
> quick fix would be to put a comment block around the disassembled SSDT
> so it is there for inspection but doesn't affect recompilation.

Tricky. The advantage of SSDTs is that it allows you to modularize,
which means that one may want to be able to override a single SSDT.
In that case, overriding the DSDT does not automaticly imply that
none of the SSDTs should be loaded.

If by default we do load SSDTs when overriding the DSDT (like we happen
to do now by coincidence), we should not dump any SSDTs by default in
acpidump(8) and vice versa. This also means that we should be able to
just dump some SSDT and override just some SSDT.

If overriding is acceptable to be an all or nothing approach, then
acpidump(8) behaves correctly and we just need to stop loading SSDTs
when the DSDT is overridden.

I prefer the flexibility and given that we currently do load SSDTs, it
makes sense to at least enhance acpidump(8) to make dumping the SSDTs
optional when dumping the DSDT. Irrespective of what we'll do in the
future. This would be a good compromise to put in 5.3R...