Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2014 08:56:37 +0100
From:      Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Roman Divacky <rdivacky@FreeBSD.org>, David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: 10.0 toolchain broken for C++11 code

--Apple-Mail=_F4E14D7C-1B8B-4E66-AAAA-E32D335F3FAA

On 09 Feb 2014, at 14:29, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:
> One other toolchain related issue I have is that on powerpc, which isn't
> using clang yet, it's using GCC 4.2 which doesn't support C++11.  Are there
> plans to have a common toolchain across all architectures (or at least,
> feature parity)?

Across all architectures is unlikely, since we still carry at least one
(e.g. ia64) that has no support in clang at all, and even newer versions
of gcc dropped support for it.  However, that architecture is 'Tier-2',
which means it is only supported on a best-effort basis.

That said, some people are working on full powerpc support for clang
(and I am assuming that means both the 32 bit and 64 bit variants), mips
is also being worked on, though I have no idea if it is production-ready
at all, and there are even some people working on the sparc64 backend.

So if everything goes as I hope it does, we might have support for most
of our architectures with clang 3.5.

Note that even though I am the de facto clang maintainer, I have no
problems with adding support for building our base system with newer
(external) gcc-based toolchains.  In fact, I would rather see that
sooner than later, because we could then drop the old gcc 4.2 from our
contrib area entirely. :-)

>  [This was an issue we had in Debian until a few weeks back;
> now it's GCC 4.8 for all.]  While the newer clang and gcc versions are
> available in ports, in practice there are compatibility issues particularly
> if there's a mismatch between libstdc++/libc++.  This makes it difficult to
> use clang 3.3/3.4 for example, since dependent C++ libraries were linked
> against libstdc++.

As far as I know, the ports guys are working on this, by using a
ports-specific version of libc++ to provide C++11 support.  This way you
can compile C++-based ports that really require gcc (for whatever
reason) without mixing libstd++ and libc++, which will almost always
lead to trouble.

-Dimitry