Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:01:44 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
To:        Rick Morel <rmorel@morelr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Net Traffic

> Looks like something I can use. However, I'm getting stopped
> with the below with gd:

Did you install from the port? If not, you should.

cd /usr/ports/net/mrtg
make install

If you're compiling by hand then maybe 'ldconfig -m' will fix it
without going to the port (although in general it is far, far
easier to use the port, it will download, patch, compile and
install things like gd and png for you).

You probably also need an snmpd, try /usr/ports/net/ucd-snmp.
That one is available in a package (pkg_add -r ucd-snmp) but you
are probably better off to use the port and compile it on your
own system with ucd-snmpd. (Often you can save time by using
the package to install and cd'ing to the port directory than
'make patch' which will download, unpack and patch the files
without compiling them, that way you will be able to cd into
the work directory and find the full docs).

You'll need the docs of both mrtg and ucd-snmp to get it working
properly. Beware: With ucd-snmp, if you upgrade your kernel, you
will probably need to recompile ucd-snmp using new include files.
You'll know if you have to do this because the disk containing
/var/log will get very, very full very, very rapidly. :-)

Stuart