Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:19:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   serial console annoyances

Hello,

I have two 4.0-stable systems, one running headless, keyboardless, and
mouseless.

If I understand correctly (ha!), the headless machine should dump the
serial console out sio0 automatically under the GENERIC kernel.  (At
least, that's what my reading of the sio man page & the serial console
guide says.)  I've edited /etc/ttys for ttyd0 appropriately to allow a
logon.  The machines are joined by a null modem cable.

My understanding of a serial console is that I should be able to watch
the boot messages, interrupt the boot loader, use userconfig, and so
on, from the second machine.  The first machine boots, but when I do
"tip cuaa0c" on the second box I see nothing until I get a login
prompt.  I can issue commands there and whatnot, so I know the null
modem connection works.

Is my understanding wrong, and this is all a serial console buys me?
Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
==ml