Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 23:25:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@sequence.Stanford.EDU>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wow... got sound.. but!

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Doug White wrote:

> > It's been a while since I last played around with the sound configuration
> > on FreeBSD without any luck getting it to work for Real Audio.  I have
> > almost decided to give up, but with some luck today, I hear music on it
> > after changing irqs, but now I have run into another problem -- the system
> > reboots after about 3 seconds or so of sound.  If I don't play any sound
> > it does not reboot.
> >
> > Sound Card:
> > Televideo Multimedia EX16 3D PNP
> > * Claims to support Sound Blaster Pro and Windows Sound System
> >
> > I have tried the Sound Blaster driver, but I do not hear anything.  It
> > pretends to play the music (Real Audio's scroll bar moves and s3mod
> > pretends to play), but I hear nothing.
>
> Did you check that....
>
> 1.  the speakers were plugged in and powered properly?
> 2.  The volume was turned up?  (use mixer)
> 3.  The devices exist?  (try /dev/MAKEDEV snd0)

Yes, 1 & 3 are correct.  The mixer is also there in /dev, but I am not
sure how to turn up the volume.  I tried using cam, but for the sound
blaster mode, it keeps saying:

SOUND_MIXER_READ_DEVMASK : Error reading /dev/mixer

typing mixer get me:
SOUND_MIXER_READ_DEVMASK: Device not configured

So I suspect you maybe right that it could be the mixer.... but I am not
sure how to fix this...

Is it as simple as adding a line to the configuration?