Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:52:08 +0300
From:      Shtorm <admin@shtorm.com>
To:        Marcos =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Vin=EDcius?= Buzo <marcosvbuzo@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: What about net.isr ?

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 10:18 -0300, Marcos Vinícius Buzo wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have a dual Intel Xeon E5506 box running mpd5, dummynet and pf. Sometimes
> i get about 500+ pppoe connections to this machine, the network traffic goes
> to 30mbps and CPU usage hits 100%. I would like to know if netisr would help
> me using the other processor cores, and where I can get docs about it.
> My network card is a dual port Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5709.
>
> Thanks in advance

In case of pppoe server netisr does not gave me any benefits, it tries
to handle all traffic with one thread. Have no idea why, maybe it was my
mistake in setup.

Check what your broadcom card can do, if it have msi-x with multiple
vectors it is better to setup number of vectors to number of cores
(maybe number of cores -1) and set sysctls net.isr.direct=1 and
net.isr.direct_force=1. In this case traffic processing will be divided
between cpu cores and your router will feel much better. I'm using intel
network cards on single xeon 5620 for pppoe + dummynet + nat, box
handles up to 70 kpps traffic 800+ connections. Also, megabit/s does not
matter for routers, packets/s is a thing that gives real cpu load.