Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 23:31:47 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Joel Sutton <jsutton@genesis.net.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-database@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PostgreSQL 6.5

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Joel Sutton wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Clark Joel A1C AMC CSS wrote:
>
> > I am a big fan of this product so please head out to
>
> I've "read" that MySQL performs better under load than Postgresql. Has
> anyone found this to be true??

The MySQL folks, back in v6.3.x, did a 'crash-me' test, comparing them
against us (PostgreSQL) and, I believe, a few others...the test had major
flaws that we proceeded to "educate" them about.  They are missign
features that are considered fundamental to an RDBMS (transactions being,
IMHO, the biggest that I can think of), so their comparison "assumed" that
those they were comparing with didn't have those features also, and didn't
make use of them...

Each release that we come out with is more stable, faster and more
scaleable then the last, and it has been for pretty much every release so
far...MySQL still, I believe, has the advantage of being faster for WWW
sites *due* to its lack of features, but even that gap, I believe, is
shrinking quickly.

With the MVCC that has been integrated into v6.5, some sites have reported
not only noticeable, but substantial increases in speed...

As far as the 'load issue' is concerned, specifically...I'd be interested
in knowing how and what was the problem.  We had problems with shared
memory, where the server would default to X blocks, but wouldn't
pre-allocate them so if the system only has Y blocks, then as soon as Y
blocks was hit, it would cause problems...this has also been fixed by
reducing the default and pre-allocating on start up...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org