Date:      Wed, 05 Oct 2005 00:36:04 -0700
From:      Sam Nilsson <lists@servingpeace.com>
To:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: php4 sessions not built by default?

Garrett Cooper wrote:
>     Just trying to access some session variables via the PHP4 and for
> some odd reason it doesn't appear as if the function exists. Is this not
> built in PHP4 by default? And if so, how may I remedy the issue?
>     Thanks,
> -Garrett

Hi Garrett,

Yeah, I think you are right that it doesn't install session support by
default. I remember running into this myself. The solution is to install
  the lang/php4-extensions port if you don't already have it installed.
That port will give you options to install all kinds of php extensions
that you might need including session support.

If you already have the lang/php4-extensions port installed and you need
a different way to install session support, install the www/php4-session
port directly.

- Sam