Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 21:59:27 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Gianluca Sordiglioni <gianluca@parkinson.it>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CPU power for DVD

     Just as a datapoint, I have an ATA DVD (Pioneer DVD-114) as well, and
I used to see hefty frame droppage (~20fps sustained) on my old
Pentium-MMX-class system, which didn't change at all when I replaced it
(keeping only a few periphs like the DVD drive) with a new ASUS A7M266,
Athlon 1.2GHz DDR 266MHz FSB, 512MB PC2100 DDR mem, all the latest bus
speed-ups, Matrox G450 DDR, etcetc.  With the evidence I had, I figured my
DVD ROM just wasn't fast enough to keep up, or (more likely) FreeBSD's ATA
driver wasn't slick enough to coax it into fifth gear.

     Then I tried mplayer.  With Xv on my G450, full FPS even while CPU
utilization stays near zero when playing DVDs (and AVIs) scaled to full
screen at full FPS (I run at 1600x1200x16bpp).  The DVD hickups are gone.

Might check:

     > sysctl -a | grep atapi
     hw.ata.atapi_dma: 1

Verify ATAPI DMA works well in your FreeBSD snapshot.  Verify you've got
nothing on the same IDE channel that'd slow your CD ROM down (though both
not supporting it's fastest DMA mode, or eating bandwidth on that IDE
channel).

I use ATA66 IDE cables for my CDROM channel just for the heck of it.  I
also put my HDs on the primary channel and the CDs on the secondary
channel.

Randall

Gianluca Sordiglioni:

--