Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2012 22:35:58 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        FreeBSD FS <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>, Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
Subject:   Re: MPSAFE VFS -- List of upcoming actions

> You can not only run Linux on XFS (which I do) but it is still likely
> the most reliable and consistently performant of the filesystems
> available in Linux because of its origin and its maturity.  XFS did
> not originate in Linux (it originated in SGI's Irix) so it should not
> surprise that Linux core developers are proponents of filesystems
> originally developed under Linux.

> Regardless, a key value of *BSD supporting non-native filesystems is
> in order to be able to access filesystems created on other OSs.

> XFS is a major filesystem so hopefully someone will volunteer to
> support it.

> Bob
> --
> Bob Friesenhahn

I remember starting threads, many months ago, both on FreeBSD and NetBSD lists about lingua franca file system for sharing data between OSes.

I can see why NTFS support is important, due to its prevalence.

But I believe very few people would have any use for HPFS access from BSD, and it would be practically impossible to find testers.

Tom