Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2000 01:04:09 -0700
From:      "Raymundo M. Vega" <RaymundoVega@home.com>
To:        Kerwin <KerwinL@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Command & Permission Denied....

> Kerwin wrote:
>
> Please help me out in here.... im new in FreeBSD and i'm getting a lil'
> frustrated.
>
> Howcome I always get a 'Permission Denied' everytime I put down a command???
> Even if i want to it shutdown like 'shutdown -now'
> it always comes out this "Permission Denied"?????

try as root, i.e type su and then give the administrator (root) password

> Also, Howcome i always get this '$' rather than '#' on my begining
> statement????

"$" is the default prompt for Bourne shell, "%" is the equivalent on
C shell and finally "#" is the prompt for root (default prompt).

If you want to see tha # prompt you *must* login as root, beware that
root is the most powerfull guy in the system...besides electricity ;-)

> does it makes any difference if it's '$' or this '#'???? If so, how can change

if you have a $ prompt, give type csh and then the enter key and
you will have a % prompt, and/or you can type su and the root
password and you will get the # prompt.

But before you destroy you Unix installation, grab a good Unix book
and read it.

raymundo