Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 18:05:12 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Final notice:  2.2 branch code freeze is coming up.

Code freeze for the RELENG_2_2 branch will be at 23:59 PST 9/30/97
(how's *that* for pedantic! :), approximately 6 hours from now.

At some point during the 48 hour period thereafter, one scenario might
be that I tag the tree for 2.2.5-BETA, roll a release from it and put
it up at ftp.freebsd.org.  We'd then go into our 20 day BETA period,
during which time everyone would obviously be encouraged to install
and test that release as much as possible.

I say "one scenario" because there's also something rather different about
this BETA period vs previous release BETAs and that's the existance of
the ftp://releng22.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2-YYMMDD-RELENG ~daily
releases.  As people find bugs in 2.2.5-BETA and those are fixed, that
progress will be reflected in the ongoing 2.2 snapshots available from
the server and it would obviously make more sense for people to to
install the snaps over 2.2.5-BETA if given the chance since why would
you want to stumble over bugs already fixed?  This holds especially
true once we get close to 2.2-971015-RELENG or so since we're going to
be in the final week's countdown to release and will want to give
those last few releases very close scrutiny indeed.

So, this all sort of raises the very obvious question and that is
"Just what the heck is an official 2.2.5-BETA release good for if it's
only going to be rendered essentially obsolete 24 hours later when the
2.2 SNAP server cranks out another full release?  Why not just point
at the 2.2.5-971001-RELENG snapshot and say "There, that's the BETA.
Testers, please start your engines!"  If people have connectivity
problems to releng22.freebsd.org up there in Canada, I could even
buffer up the last few day's worth of 2.2 SNAPs on ftp.freebsd.org.

Comments?

					Jordan