Date:      Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:55:09 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New driver loading scheme for Project Evil, need input

--nextPart2238260.9b1PmSkGtP

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:52, Bill Paul wrote:
> I had to rig things such that unloading one of the converted modules
> forces a detach of all devices associated with that module. Failing
> to do this would leave a network interface in place that depends
> on a non-existent .SYS image. I was hoping to find a way to trick
> the module dependency mechanism into handling this for me, but
> came up empty. So instead, windrv_unload() hunts down all the device
> handles for any dependent interfaces and does an explicit
> device_detach() on them.

Hmm pitty..
The wrapped .sys file can't have stubs for attach/detach/etc?
That way it would be the module that creates & destroys the device instance=
=20
even if all it does it call if_ndis functions..

> I put a snapshot of the code (relative to -current) at:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/ndis_snap.tar.gz
>
> The script and stub file are in the usr.sbin/ndiscvt directory. The
> script still needs a bit of work, but handles most basic cases.

Looks good although perhaps a non-interactive version to allow you to use=20
filename completion would be handy.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum