Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 1995 06:15:35 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal 3: Non-executable file in *_DEPEND

Satoshi Asami stands accused of saying:
>  * 	if item not installed and port available
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> This is the hard part.  There is no easy way to get this mapping,
> unlike port -> package.  The only file that contains this,
> /usr/ports/INDEX, is often out of date, not only because of my
> laziness, but also because we can't expect the users to grab that file
> off the ftp site too often.

No, but if "find /usr/ports -name <name> -type d" comes up with exactly one
match, or (perhaps better) a traversal of the Makefiles in /usr/ports
finds the offender, you've got it.  It's nontrivial, but it is possible.

>* to put some coherent thoughts together.  I spent a little time recently
>* looking at how the RedHat Linux people do things.  They're a little more
>* rigid in their pacakge definition rules, but the "rpm" tools looked
>* fairly similar in feature set to the pkg_* tools, so I tinkered with
>* their graphical front end with a vague idea to making it work under FreeBSD.
>
> That's very cool.

Not really 8(  They use Python with a pile of nonstandard options to provide
the GUI.  I had some prompt and to-the-point help (fortunately) on
Python, or it would have been a very short tinker 8(

>  * Because a hypothetical interactive installer will pop up a dialog and say
>
> Yeah, that will be nice....

Well, I think there are a number of people who might be willing to spend some
time writing a nice frontend; I'm currently reasonably enthused about doing
some work on a "pkg" tool, given that most of my other "great ideas" have
stonewalled 8(

> This is already recommended, although not mandatory.  I'm planning tho
> bring this up as "proposal 5" or something. :)

Of curiosity, have you ever looked at "setld" under Ultrix? (OSF/1?)  It's
one of the most horrific pieces of sh programming I've ever met, but it
really sets the basic standard for what we need.

> Satoshi

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[